Infinite Gangnam Style - Frequently Asked Questions
- What is this? - Infinite Gangnam Style is a web app that dynamically generates
an ever changing and never ending version of the song 'Gangnam Style' by Psy.
- It never stops? - That's right. It will play forever.
- How does it work? - We use the Echo
Nest analyzer to break the song into beats. We play the song beat by beat, but at every beat there's a chance
that we will jump to a different part of song that happens to sound very similar to the current beat. For beat similarity
we look at pitch, timbre, loudness, duration and the position of the beat within a bar.
- Are there any ways to control the song? Yes - here are some keys:
- [space] - Start and stop playing the song
- [left arrow] - Decrement the current play velocity by one
- [right arrow] - Increment the current play velocity by one
- [Down arrow] - Sets the current play velocity to zero
- [control] - freeze on the current beat
- [shift] - bounce between the current beat and all of the similar sounding beats. These are the
- What do the colored blocks represent? Each block represents a beat in the song. The colors indicate
how likely we are to branch to/from a particular beat. Red blocks have the highest probability, blue are lower
and black have zero probability of a branch. The probablility is based upon how many similar neighbors there are
to the particular beat.
- How come this doesn't work in my browser? The app requires the web audio APIs
which are currently best supported in Chrome and Safari
- What does Psy think about this? I don't know. I hope he doesn't mind that we are using his music
and images. We hope you check out his official video and his web site too (but really you probably already have).
- Who made this? Paul Lamere at Music Hack Day Reykyavik on October
28, 2012. More info at Music